IRIS-T SLM discussion

no longer infrared “homing”

Yeee, btw remind me to test the max range and max speed when the lofting change goo life

I gave up on that a long time ago and removed it from my lineup; I only use Flarakrad now, which is much better due to the helicopter spawns with LDIRCM.

1 Like

This happens against LMUR too.

Nothing new, Iris T cant intercept ordnance. Its not a good SPAA. Even worse against KH-38, Harms and Lmur. Don’t spawn it anymore, you just feed free kills.

Reliability feels worse this update, fired two IRIS-T at different planes less than 10 kilometers away, and both missed. I wish IRIS-T stats weren’t so padded out by drones, otherwise, we would’ve gotten a better AA battery.

2 Likes

What are you guys on about? The IRIS-T is great at killing planes and drones but dogshit against helicopters and munitions.

That’s a 50% Good Rate for a NATO vehicle, enough we might get a Kh-38MT buff 😁

Hey, it’s not like it is successfully used to intercept cruise missiles in ukraine…

…oh wait

Yep…I just started using it in matches with high expectations after reading about the RL missile.

Estimated 100+g turns, Mach 3 for the majority of its flight time and immune to flares and jammers.

Laser jammers even trigger the missile to home in on them directly.
It also supposedly has a library of known aircraft from all around the world with up to eight weakpoints per target, which it directly aims for.

Ibgame however it barely intercepts munitions and seems to be as flare hungry as an AIM-9B.

As a side note:
When I manage to lock and shoot down an AGM-88 with the IRIS-T, then why does the game credit the destroyed munition to the enemy? They can’t even lock my missile with the AGM…

That’s only valid for dual-plane maneuvering of the A2A variant. All missiles ingame only have single-plane maneuvering.

Everything else is correct, but do you remember the last time the snail put some actual effort into modelling a western weapon? I don’t… See the still broken SPICE-250/GBU-53 (lock-on in third-person impossible and buggy in seeker view) which were broken with the introduction of the GBU-53.

Becuase the AGM-88 destroys the IRIS-T in this case → The proxy fuze of the AGM-88 triggers before the IRIS-Ts, so the AGM-88 selfdestructs and destroys the IRIS-T before the IRIS-T has a chance to detonate.

1 Like

The IRIS-T SLM was specifically developed to engage the spectrum of modern air threats including hovering helicopters and the munitions they fire. Both Diehl Defence and Hensoldt with their TRML-4D radar explicitly highlight these capabilities. Real-world design intent:

The TRML-4D AESA radar is designed to detect and track hovering helicopters.

The missile uses a high-resolution imaging infrared (IIR) seeker that’s highly resistant to flares, decoys and low-power directional lasers (LDIRCM).

The system is intended to maintain kill probability against low-flying, slow and hovering targets as well as small fast threats such as rockets and cruise missiles.

In-game reality:

It is significantly affected by LDIRCM even though the real IIR seeker was designed to resist this type of countermeasure.

When a helicopter is only about 8 km away and launches rockets the IRIS-T SLM often fails to intercept them. The missile. Ignores the rockets locks onto the wrong target or simply misses.

This is not a case of helicopters being overpowered. It is a case of the IRIS-T SLM not performing its role, against the exact threats it was built to destroy. Both the helicopters themselves and the rockets/munitions they fire.

you couldn’t even bring yourself to paraphrase, you literally just copy pasted the AI output

“meat proxy” is the new slur youre looking for.

6 Likes

Sorry for bumping this old Thread but today I played a match in the SLM again after a few months. And holy shit is it getting worse?

I shot at an F-16XL That was initially 9km away at like 5km ALT. So this should be optimal scenario for SLM to shine. Not too far away, not too close.

F-16XL flew a straight line RIGHT towards me. (he later on killed me with x6 maverick spam I couldn’t intercept cuz they were too close).

First shot: 9km → misses?
Second shot: 8km → misses?
Third shot: around 7km → misses?
Fourth shot: around 6km → misses… (this one I can kinda see missing cuz he was so close and closing distance fast so missile didnt have enough time to pull right after launch)

They either flew into completely different directions, not get a lock (stay in DL constantly) at all or just not pull enough. I had a TWS lock on it all the time btw.

Same match I spawned in a backup later on in the game cuz there were tons of flankers up I just wanted to get some fun kills yk.

su30 shoots kh38 at me from around 12km I’d say. Im like “yeah this should be easy to intercept at that range”. I shoot two in case. Both never lock the Kh38 and just miss it.

Like is anybody actually having good success rate with this thing anymore? I feel like not a single dev has played this thing since it came out cuz no way we still have the bug where missiles stay in DL+IOG forever. Either that or they just can’t fix it.

Its such a shame to see such a cool system be portrayed this bad in the game. Despite the great success rate this thing has in recent events especially when it comes to intercepting small targets with low heat profiles (which ingame is basically impossible).

Dont get me wrong its okay at killing aircraft but that doesnt help me when there are already multiple glide bombs or agms on their way to send me to the void. Gaijin please fix.

(before any1 is like “well why not make bug report about it”. There are already a few and some of them have been inactive/not looked at for over a year)

Well to be fair front aspect is the way to reliably flare an Iris T so if the xL knows what he’s doing then you can’t really do much.

Nope. You can barely intercept anything. I’ve had games where I fired all 16 missives on enemy agms and didn’t intercept a single one.

They won’t. Us and Russia players would cry too hard if Germany got a piece of good equipment.